Occasion: Valentine’s Day with the Hubs!
- My go-to chocolate cake recipe from http://allrecipes.com/recipe/dark-chocolate-cake-i/. My dad initially found this recipe and made it with an oh-so-sinful dark chocolate frosting for my mom’s birthday one year. It’s so amazing that I don’t think I’ll ever use another chocolate cake recipe again!
- Raspberry Buttercream
- Start with any old buttercream recipe. I usually just make it up as I go.
- Substitute pureed (and strained) raspberries for about half the amount of milk.
- Add more of less of the berry puree to taste, and add powdered sugar slowly until you reach the desired consistency.
- Chocolate ganache
- Start with your favorite chocolate ganache recipe and add a small amount of strained raspberry puree to taste.
- A crystalized rose makes for an elegant topper. See here for instructions: http://www.marthastewartweddings.com/226319/crystallizing-rose-petals
- To achieve the ombre frosting effect, I divided the icing into three parts and used an increasing concentration of pink gel food coloring in each part.