Occasion: Valentine’s Day #6 with the Hubs!
Cake: You can use your favorite chocolate cake recipe. I always use this one: http://allrecipes.com/recipe/dark-chocolate-cake-i/.
Filling: This cake is filled with homemade chocolate covered cherries. All you need is bing (or maraschino) cherries, the cherry frosting (see below), and melted chocolate. I used Ghirardelli Dark Chocolate Melting wafers.
Frosting: I created a cherry frosting for this cake, but it wasn’t quite as cherry-y as I would have liked. I think I preferred the one I made for this cake: https://professorofchocolate.wordpress.com/2014/07/07/22/.
Ganache: Any chocolate ganache recipe will do. I used Alton Brown’s at http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/ganache-frosting-recipe.html.
- Cut each circular cake into a heart. Alternatively, if you have a heart shaped pan, you won’t have to worry about this part.
- Frost one of the layers with a generous amount of cherry frosting. Then press the cherries into the frosting, roughly a half inch apart.
- Drizzle melted chocolate over the cherries so that each cherry is nearly (but not completely) covered.
- Place the second cake layer on top of the first.
- Frost the entire cake with the cherry frosting.
- Drizzle a thin layer of ganache on top and over the sides of cake. Carefully spread it to completely coat the cake, being careful to avoid forming too many air bubbles.
- Let the ganache cool completely.
- Pipe the remaining cherry frosting in a heart shape on top of the cake.
- Repeat step 3 with cherries on top of the cake.
- Enjoy with your sweetie!